Friday, September 16, 2005

T.G.I.Flan!

Flan is a custard-like creamy dessert consisting of eggs and milk and thickened by the heat of an oven. I'm sure you've had custard before. Maybe you've had your grandma's custard pie or flan at a Mexican restaurant...perhaps tasted a heavenly Creme Brulee at the local bistro. But if you've never had flan before then I think it's about time you made it for yourself. Thanks to Cooking up Custard for inspiring me to make my first flan. I spent the evening with my mom to learn how to make the dessert...and, wow, did it came out fantastic! The flan was creamy and the caramel that it creates was sweet and nutty and so gooey. To make flan, you will need:

  • 4 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 can La Lechera or sweetened condensed milk
  • Whole or 2% milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 TSP vanilla
  • Salt
First, turn on the oven to 350* F. Get out a casserole or a 1-1/2 quart oven-proof round dish. Next, in a blender add the eggs, the can of sweetened condensed milk and a can of milk (use the can of sweetened condensed milk as measurment). Add the vanilla and a pinch of salt. Blend on high for 30 seconds, then on low for 2 more minutes. Set aside.

    Next, lightly moisten the casserole dish with tap water. Add the sugar to a small sauce pan and place it over medium-high heat and cook it, sitirring constantly. Do not step away from the stove or else the sugar will burn and do not touch the sugar once it begins to melt. It is very hot! Keep stirring the sugar until it gets to a dark, brown color but do not let it burn. Turn off heat and immediately add the caramel to the bottom of the casserole. Swirl it around to cover the bottom. Now add the egg mixture from the blender to the casserole. Bake it in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 F. Your flan should be done when it’s lightly colored and firm to the touch but not solid. To double check, stick the blade of your knife in the center of the flan halfway down; the blade should come out clean. Carefully remove the flan from the oven and let it cool for about 30 minutes. Cover and place it in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight. When you are ready to serve, run a thin knife around the edges of the flan to loosen. Invert the flan onto your serving dish and voila! Serve it in slices and drizzle caramel over it. Mmmm, I can't wait to to try it again!

      4 comments:

      Anonymous said...

      I tried your recipe. It is really good. And since I am a Chemist, I will try to modify the recipe tonight by replacing the whole milk for condensed milk.

      Anonymous said...

      Your recipe/nstructions is the easiest i've seen. I would never have thought of using my blender to help with cooking, actually i've only used it once to crush ice. Anyway i'm going to try your recipe and make it for christmas for my mother-in-law!

      Anonymous said...

      Thanks for the flan recipe. I had never made it and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Who knew it was so easy?!!

      Very yummy, indeed. Thanks, again!

      Anonymous said...

      I have been looking for a good flan recipe, which by the sound of the other comments, this one must be. But the recipe is printed green lettering on a green background which makes it extremely hard to read. Alas, I will continue my search for a good, readable recipe.