- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (4 lemons)
- 3/4 cup good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, halved and skin removed
Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Pour over the chicken breasts in a nonreactive bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.
Heat a charcoal grill. Grill the chicken breasts for 10 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Cool slightly and cut diagonally in 1/2-inch-thick slices. Skewer with wooden sticks and serve with Satay Dip.
SATAY DIP (makes 1 ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2/3 cup small-diced red onion (1 small onion)
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 1 ½ teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Cook the olive oil, sesame oil, red onion, garlic, ginger root, and red pepper flakes in a small, heavy-bottomed pot on medium heat until the onion is transparent, 10 to 15 minutes. Whisk in the vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, peanut butter, ketchup, sherry, and lime juice; cook for 1 more minute. Cool and serve as a dip for chicken skewers.