Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Perfect Mojito

A Mojito is a very refreshing and unique drink that was invented in Cuba several decades ago. I can't really find much on the history of the cocktail, but I've read that Ernest Hemingway loved this concoction. I remember I had my first Mojito in Cambridge, Massachusetts about 4 years ago! I was at the now defunct, The Good Life restaurant, a cocktail & jazz lounge, when the bartender experimented on me and made me his first mojito. I was very impressed and I became a fan of the Mojito immediately. Over the years I've experimented with the recipe and below is the one that comes out the best. And, on a side note, all my friends and family love it!!! What you will need: A bottle of Bacardi Rum (the light one), several limes, sugar cubes and regular sugar, and fresh mint leaves. To make the simple syrup, just bring a cup of water with a cup of sugar to a boil. Get it off the heat and cool down. You can keep the simple syrup in the fridge for up to two weeks. MOJITO
  1. In a highball glass, muddle fresh mint leaves (about 8) with 4 sugarcubes and 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice. If you don't have sugarcubes, used about a tablespoon of regular sugar.
  2. Keep muddling with the tip of a wooden spoon until you can start smelling the mintyness.
  3. Add a wedge of lime, muddle a little more.
  4. Add about 2 tablespoons of simple syrup.
  5. Add 2-1/2 oz. Bacardi Rum then add ice and top with club soda.
  6. Mix and enjoy!

No comments: