Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Spaghetti with Mizithra

If I have one weakness when I diet, it is pasta. Fussili, spaghetti, penne, angel hair, you name it, I love it all. But there is one pasta dish that I miss ever since The Old Spaghetti Factory closed its doors in San Diego in January 2005. They had a great yet simple dish called Spaghetti with Browned Butter and Mizithra Cheese. OSF states that "Homer lived on this toothsome treat...while composing the Iliad." If that's true, then I better start composing my great epic poem. This spaghetti has a sauce of browned butter, garlic and mizithra cheese, which is a hard goat cheese. Talk about simple yet intense flavor. I looked up the recipe online and I was suprised how close it came to the actual dish. So if you're craving spaghetti, try this recipe. For the spaghetti you will need: (serves 6)
  • 1/4 c Olive oil
  • 2 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 TBSP. unsalted butter
  • 1 lb Spaghetti, cooked/drained
  • 1/2 c Parmesan, freshly grated
  • 1/2 c Mizithra cheese, freshly grated
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4 c Parsley, chopped for garnish
1. Boil the pasta until just barely tender. 2. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and add the butter. Cook until butter begins to foam and slightly brown. Add the chopped garlic and saute for about 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant but don't let the garlic burn. Set aside. 3. Drain and toss the spaghetti with the olive oil, butter and garlic, then add the remainder of the ingredients: parmesan, mizithra, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great recipe! Just tried it came out delicious. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I make it a bit differently. First, I brown the butter until foaming stops, then let the residue settle to the bottom of the pan and I just keep the butter left. I just use a pinch of oregano, the spaghetti, the butter, and the mizithra and call it a dish. I like it better that way...more flavor from the cheese, less from the garlic. :)