Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Experiment Recipe #2

Cooking is a science. You combine various ingredients and flavorings that chemically bind to each other and they result in either an excellent dish or a pretty bad meal. However it is only by experimenting with food how we challenge ourselves and, hopefully, create amazing dishes. I, for one, like to think of myself as a food (lab hot) scientist and that's why I will always try something new, like this pear-fig-arugula-gorgonzola pizza. I know, it sounds weird. It tasted weird too, but it was fun making it.

For the ingredients I got a package of ready-made pizza dough at Trader Joe's, 1/4 lb. arugula, 2 pears, 4 ripe figs, toasted walnuts and about 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzala cheese.

I rolled out the dough and lightly brushed it with garlic-olive oil. I then spread out the arugula (washed and dried), sliced pears, sliced figs, nuts and topped it off with the crumbled cheese. I baked it in a 450 F for 5 minutes then lowered to 375 for an additional 14 minutes, until the crust browns a little.

My husband did not like the pizza at all and only ate one slice. I ate one and a half. I think the pear was too ripe and perhaps mozzarella cheese would have been better. I did like the arugula flavor, though. I may try another pizza with arugula, tomatoes, riccota and garlic. Anyhoo, at least the pizza looked pretty. :)

No comments: