Monday, September 05, 2005

Experiment Recipe #1

I am addicted to the Food Network and to any and all cooking shows on T.V. I don't know what it is about cooking shows that I love so much but to me, cooking is like art form. You start with a clean slate, sort of, and then you begin to create your masterpiece, in my case my ingredients are my paints. So, like any artist, I like to experiment with new foods and concepts. On Everyday Food, I watched a pesto being made out of peas. I just had to try it. Unfortunately, the recipe was not posted on their website--not even as of today--so I had to create the recipe by memory. I think I missed something because it didn't taste as good as I thought. First I started to boil water in a huge pot. Make sure you always salt your water. It really makes a difference in the taste of your pasta. I then seasoned chicken tenders with a store bought poultry seasoning. I cooked the chicken in a large skillet, about 5 minutes per side. Set aside and cover to keep warm. To make the pesto, I grinded about 1/3 cup blanched almonds in the food processor. I then added about 8 oz thawed peas, 1 garlic clove, salt & pepper and squeezed in about a tablespoon of lemon juice. I processed it more then started to drizzle about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of olive oil until it gets to a creamy consistance. If the pesto is too thick, add a little of the pasta water to thin it out. When the water boils, I added about a half pound of penne pasta. I cook to package almost al-dente, then I added 8 oz of frozen peas. I cooked them both together until the pasta was al-dente. I drained the pasta and peas and put it back in the same pot. I then drizzled a little bit of olive oil and added the pea-pesto to the pasta and combined it all together. I plated about 4 tenders per plate with a side of the Penne with Pea-Pesto. The pasta seemed to be missing something. The taste was OK but not great. My husband suggested I add crumbled bacon to the pasta next time. Perhaps where I went wrong is that I should have added more peas to the processor to make the pesto more creamy. The pesto did seem a little gritty. Over all, it was an OK dish, but not the greatest. Once the real recipe is available online I'll post it here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was surfing the net and found your great blog. If you are any interested in guitar playing or want to start playing, go see my guitar tablature related site. You may find something of interest.

Anonymous said...

Agog over Googling? Bitten by Blogs?
There are nearly 10 million blogs, also called web logs, with 40,000 new ones being created each day.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Incredible Wealth Building System site/blog. It pretty much covers Incredible Wealth Building System related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)