Thursday, July 09, 2009

Shrimp Cakes with Sriracha-Lemon Cream

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was in a cleaning frenzy a few days ago and I started cleaning out the fridge and freezer. Well, lo and behold I found some large, uncooked frozen shrimp tucked way back in the freezer. I thaweded them and made sure they were still good to use (and they were). So I found this shrimp cake recipe but I totally changed it and made it my own. I also came up with the Sriracha-Lemon Cream sauce, although I have to say I was inspired by the orangy-mayo sauce the sushi chefs drizzle over the rolls. Anyway, these were gooood...although kind of spicy hot, which for some reason I'm really craving right now. I made my cakes about the size of a crab cake, but you can make them smaller if you prefer.

INGREDIENTS (makes 6 large or 12 small cakes)

  • 16 uncooked large shrimp (about 1 pound), peeled, deveined
  • 1 smal garlic clove, minced
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons shallot, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
  • Pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I only used 1/4 tsp.)
  • Pinch of ground black pepper
  • 2 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • Oil for frying
Siracha-Lemon Cream
  • 1/4 cup good mayo
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek
  • 1 tablespoon sriracha hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Pinch of salt
DIRECTIONS

Corasely chop shrimp and garlic in processor. Add egg, shallot, lemon juice, mustard, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Blend-in using on/off turns. Add 1 cup panko and blend-in using on/off turns. Form mixture into twelve 3-inch-diameter cakes (I formed mine into 4 to 5 inch cakes for large ones). Roll cakes in remaining 1 cup panko; transfer to waxed-paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 10 minutes. (Can be made up to 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Place 2 shrimp cakes per plate and spoon some of the Sriracha-Lemon Cream sauce on each and serve immediately.

To make the sriracha-lemon cream: in a small bowl mix all ingredients until well blended and refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

No comments: