INGREDIENTS (makes 2 cups)
Source: Chef Jeff Thurston, The Prado, San Diego, California
- 1 1/2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon lime juice, or more to taste
- 2 1/2 teaspoons canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/8 bunch cilantro, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil blend
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Put beans through a meat grinder on a medium die, or puree them in a blender or food processor.
In blender or food processor or in bowl of an electric mixer, combine garbanzo puree, tahini, garlic, lemon juice, lime juice, chipotles, kosher salt and cilantro. On low speed, mix ingredients well while adding oil in a slow, steady stream. Season with salt and pepper, and add more citrus juice if needed.
Serve with flatbread for dipping.