Friday, July 24, 2009

Ham and Brie Sandwich

When I first found out that I wasn't supposed to eat things such as raw fish in sushi, or cold cuts, and certain cheeses such as feta, queso fresco and brie because of the minuscule risk that they may give me listeriosis, well I almost died. Isn't it enough that I couldn't drink for 9 months? I wasn't sure if I was going to make it, but so far so good. It's been 29 weeks and I have been able to deny myself all that food that I love...but I had an insatiable craving for brie the other day. I couldn't stop thinking of the brie sandwich my husband and I shared in Paris almost 3 years ago. But how could I recreate a similar sandwich without potentially contaminating my fetus with listeria? I mean, don't pregnant women in France eat brie? But, to be safe I created this sandwich. It was delicious and it certainly satisfied my craving.

INGREDIENTS (makes 1 sandwich)

  • A demi French baguette
  • Brie
  • Thin sliced deli ham
  • Dijon mustard
  • Mayo
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Slice the baguette lengthwise and smear a little mayo on one side and Dijon on the other. Place slices of brie on one slice of bread and top with several slices of the thin sliced ham. Bake the sandwich, open faced, for 5 to 7 minutes, or until brie begins to get melty. Then top the sandwich and squish it a little and bake another 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and slightly cool before eating with faux red wine, a.k.a. grape juice.

No comments: