Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Creamy Bowties with Chicken and Broccoli

I decided to clean out the freezer and I found two chicken breasts, skin on and bone in, in there that were almost three months old. Instead of throwing them out, I thawed them and roasted them. Then I removed the skin and the bones and shredded the chicken. So now I had a couple of of cups of shredded chicken and below is a very simple, yet quite easy dish where I used some of the shredded chicken. I added red pepper flakes to my recipe because I just love the spiciness with broccoli. If you're unable to find the garlic and herb soft-spread cheese, you can use Philadelphia cream cheese instead and add Italian herbs and some garlic to flavor it up.

INGREDIENTS (makes 4 servings)

  • 8 ounces bow-tie pasta
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
  • 2 cups broccoli florets
  • 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (I omitted them from this recipe)
  • 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
  • 6.5-ounces garlic and herb soft-spread cheese*
  • Good pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
DIRECTIONS

Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add bow ties and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until done, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. (I skipped this step as I already had cooked chicken).

Add broccoli, red pepper flakes (if using), red bell pepper strips and chicken broth to skillet. Cover and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the cooked pasta and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.

* There are several brands of garlic and herb soft-spread cheeses on the market, including Alouette, Rondele, and Boursin.

No comments: