INGREDIENTS (makes 4 servings)
- 8 ounces bow-tie pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (I omitted them from this recipe)
- 1 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 6.5-ounces garlic and herb soft-spread cheese*
- Good pinch of red pepper flakes, optional
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add bow ties and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring, until done, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside. (I skipped this step as I already had cooked chicken).
Add broccoli, red pepper flakes (if using), red bell pepper strips and chicken broth to skillet. Cover and simmer until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the cooked pasta and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
* There are several brands of garlic and herb soft-spread cheeses on the market, including Alouette, Rondele, and Boursin.