Sunday, July 19, 2009

Irish Potato Pancakes

(Photo by Marge Perry / December 21, 2005)
Sadly, the great writer Frank McCourt died today. If you don't know who he is, then I'm sure you've read his book (or watched the movie) "Angela's Ashes." I have to say that I wouldn't have read any of Mr. McCourt's books had it not been for my friend, Amy. When we lived and worked in Boston, she invited me to a reading at the Copley Hotel. I was skeptical, but decided to go because she said there was an open bar.

Anyway, Mr. McCourt was the guest speaker and he was supposed to read from his new book, "'Tis," however all I recall was that he told us stories of his family, of Ireland, of moving to America and just made everyone laugh with his wonderful Irish sayings and his Irish wit. He was a great storyteller and, I think, a great writer.

Here's a great recipe for Irish potato pancakes, a.k.a., latkes. Serve the potato pancakes while crisp. I don't know what they would top these with in Ireland, but I know here in the states we love sour cream or apple sauce on our pancakes. RIP Frank.

INGREDIENTS (makes 6 pancakes)

  • 2 medium potatoes
  • whole egg
  • 4 slices Irish rashers or lean Canadian bacon
  • 1 tablespoon finely diced onion
  • 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated cheddar cheese
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
DIRECTIONS

Peel and grate raw potato; place in a bowl. Beat egg, and add to the potato.

Slice the raw lean bacon into thin strips (julienne). Add to the potatoes along with the diced onion, parsley, salt, pepper, and cheddar. Combine thoroughly.

In a crepe pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Pour the mix onto the pan. Cook on both sides, until golden brown.

Recipe courtesy of epicurious.com

1 comment:

sweets said...

Very sad the great author frank McCourt was died.