INGREDIENTS (makes 2 ½ dozen)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for coating baked cookies
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting hands
- 1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped into very small pieces (I usually grind them in my mini-food processor)
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at low speed until it is smooth. Beat in the vanilla. At low speed, gradually add the flour. Mix in the pecans with a spatula.
With floured hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place, 1-1/2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.Continue to dust hands with flour as you make more cookies. Place onto prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 40 minute, but check them after 30 minutes. My oven cooks very high, so mine were done in 30 minutes. When cool enough to handle but still warm, roll the cookies in additional confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks.