INGREDIENTS (makes 12 pierogies)
- 1 package of large won ton wrappers
- 1 1/2 cups left over mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- A big handful of grated cheddar cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- Lots of butter
- Sour cream, for topping
- Equipment: A large cookie cutter or a wide-mouth glass, about 3 1/2"
Add 1 teaspoon oil + 1 teaspoon butter to a skillet on medium heat. When butter melts, add the onion and saute for 6 to 8 minutes until translucent. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl combine the mashed potatoes, sauteed onions and grated cheddar cheese. Add salt and pepper, if needed.
In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
TO MAKE PIEROGIES:
- Cut out large circles from each wrapper until you get a dozen.
- Place a tablespoon of filling on each won ton round. Do not over-fill otherwise filling will spill out.
- Moisten inner edges of won ton circle so they will stick together and fold over forming a semi-circle.
- Press edges together making sure they are secure.
- Boil a few pierogies at a time in a large pot of water. They are done when they float to the top.
- Move pierogies to a baking sheet lined with parchment or plastic wrap to dry out a little.
- Meanwhile, in same skillet you used earlier, add 1 tablespoon butter (or more if you prefer) on medium-high. Add 3 to 4 pierogies at a time and pan fry until lightly crispy.
- Serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream.