INGREDIENTS (Serves 4 Hillarys or 2 Obamas)
- 4 Chicken pieces, such as 2 thighs and 2 breasts, with skin on and bone-in
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup sliced Baby Bella or white mushrooms
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or water
- 1 can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup (you can use low-sodium)
- 1 (8 oz.) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Two big handfuls of baby spinach
First, clean chicken pieces with cold running water and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a blender, add the cream of mushroom soup and softened cream cheese and a little water. Blend for 1 minute until it reaches a smooth consistency. Set aside.
In a large saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium high. Add the chicken pieces and sear for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until they are a nice brown all over. Remove with tongs and set aside. Do not clean pan.
In the same pan, add the onion and saute for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and saute and additional minute. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute until garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
Add 1/2 cup chicken broth or water to pan to deglaze and scrape the brown bits from bottom of pan. Add the blended mixture of cream cheese and cream of mushroom soup, then add the heavy cream and stir to combine.
Place the sauteed chicken pieces in sauce and bring to a bubble. Lower to a simmer and cover pan. Let this simmer about 30 to 35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. About 10 minutes before serving, add the spinach and let it wilt. Serve over steamed white rice, or with egg noodles.