Max Baggs is my brother and sister-in-law's dog. He's a pretty good dog that loves the company of people. But he is so big, that smelling humans butts is his favorite past-time. He is quite obedient when there's snacks or treats involved. I made these treats with whole wheat flour and just a bit of peanut butter. The treats contain a lot of protein and fiber, and are especially great for big dogs that have a ton of energy. The best part is that you only need one bowl to make the dough and the bake up in less than 20 minutes.
INGREDIENTS (makes 1 dozen Maxi snacks)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup soy flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- small pinch of sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 heaping tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- About 1/4 beef broth or chicken broth or stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine whole wheat flour, soy flour, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and sugar. Mix.
- Make a well in the middle and add egg and peanut butter and half of broth. With your hands, combine all ingredients until it comes together to a ball, adding more beef broth, if needed.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" on a floured surface and cut out shapes or circles with cookie cutters or a small glass.
- Place cookies onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7 minutes, then turn over and bake 5 to 7 more minutes until lightly browned (it will be hard to see they are browned because whole wheat flour is a light brown color, so keep an eye on them).
- Cool completely before feeding a cookie to your dog. Scooby Doo would be proud!