Thursday, December 08, 2005

Wine Notes: 2002 Opus One

I don't consider myself a wine snob nor am I an expert in wines, but I am very picky about the wines I drink and when I found out that my husband bought a 2002 Opus One, I was beyond ecstatic. I had only savored this wine once before: It was a 2000 Opus One that my good buddy, Bill, shared with the cooking club. Ever since, I've been hooked on this wine, but considering its high price, it is definitely a wine for very special occasions. The price range for an Opus One ranges from the low $100's up to thousands of dollars.

There is a reason for the high price: Opus One is a very expensive wine to produce, and has been since day one. "The standard is not to be excellent here, it is to be perfect," co-Winemaker Tim Mondavi declares matter-of-factly. No compromises are made, no corners cut. Opus One is meticulously "hand massaged," with frequent topping of barrels and six rackings during its 18 months in barrel, making it extremely labor intensive. The wine is moved only by the gentle force of gravity; mechanical pumps are banned. And, at a cost of more than $29 million, the Opus One Winery ranks as one of the world's most expensive single-product facilities.

Tasting Notes

The 2002 Opus One shows really dark with ruby edges. Beautiful blackberry, intense black current, some plum. The fruit is very concentrated. Powdered cocoa, and vanilla from the oak round out the flavors. Very well integrated even at this early stage. Tannins spread out in the finish, and they are slightly dusty but well incorporated into the wine. They coat your mouth but are very gentle. Finish is a little short, but it is pleasant. A blend of 86% cabernet sauvignon, 6% merlot, 3% malbec, 3% cabernet franc and 2% petit verdot. Drink from 2007 - 2019.

No comments: