Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Eating out at Pizza Nova

My husband and I went to Pizza Nova on Sunday night. This was our first time at this pizza joint which specializes in wood-fired, hand-stretched pizzas. They also make their pasta fresh everyday. The decor is classy chic and the food is very affordable. I really liked their food although they do need to have a better wine list available. Now, to the food!

For an appetizer, we ordered the Cheezy Garlic Bread ($3.75). It is sourdough bread topped with garlic butter and Parmesan cheese. It's no lie, this bread is garlicky. Vampires, beware!

For dinner, my husband ordered one of their new specialties, Swordfish Piccata ($14.95). This was my favorite dish. It consisted of grilled swordfish topped with a white wine lemon and caper cream sauce. Served with fettuccine and sauted vegetables. I highly recommend this dish.

I ordered the Portobello Mushroom & Asparagus Fettuccine ($11.50), which are portobello mushrooms, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes and garlic atop fresh egg fettuccine in a light wine and garlic cream sauce, topped with Parmesan cheese. This was a so-so dish. It was too rich for me and I was only able to eat 1/4 of it. I took the rest of it home and we had it as a side dish the next day!

I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a low-cost night out. All their food is made fresh, their wood-fired pizzas are quite good and their prices are very reasonable. Many of the patrons stop by here for lunch or dinner first then head on to the Landmark Theatre in the same complex.

Pizza Nova - Hillcrest is located at 3955 Fifth Avenue, (619) 296-6682

No comments: