Monday, December 12, 2005

Riesling Roasted Pears and Grapes

As you all may know, I'm a big fan of Rachel Ray and when I saw her new magazine in the newstand, well, I just had to buy it. There are tons of good, easy recipes in her mag, which you can also find in her website, Everyday with Rachel Ray. I saw this recipe in there and I just had to try it. In the original recipe, it calls for fresh thyme sprigs but I ommited them becasue I could not find any in my market. Also, instead of ice cream, the recipe asks for fresh whipped cream. I really like the cold vanilla ice cream paired with the warm, tender pears and grapes. The flavors and temperature of the two make your tastebuds go crazy!

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 large firm-ripe Bosc pears, cored and quartered (skin on)
  • 2 cups green seedless grapes
  • 1 cup Riesling
  • 1/4 cup clover honey
  • 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Good vanilla ice cream
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a baking dish large enough to hold the pears comfortably, arrange the pear quarters, cut side down, and scatter the grapes around them. In a bowl, combine the wine, honey, apricot preserves, and vanilla, and pour over the pears.
  2. Transfer the dish to the oven and roast the fruit until tender, about 40 minutes, basting several times. Spoon the pears and grapes into serving dishes.
  3. Serve the pears and grapes topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments: