Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Quick Party Platter

A good tip I learned from watching the Food Network all the time is to "always keep cheese, fruits and vegetables around the house for easy snacks or for unexpected company." I like to keep a wheel of brie and pastry dough (frozen) in case I need to make emergency baked brie. Other cheeses that are good have in store are fresh mozzarella balls, feta and smoked Gouda. Apples always go great with cheese, specially brie and Gouda. And sliced or quartered tomatoes pair up magnificently with either feta or mozzarella.
***

I had to put together a quick platter the other day for unexpected guests. So what I did, I sliced a tomato and seasoned it with kosher salt and pepper and sprinkled a little bit of dried basil on it. I then cut bite size pieces of feta and alternated it with the tomatoes. I also sliced a Granny Smith apple and alternated it with slices of smoked gouda. Fortunately, I also had some left over cooked lamb shanks and I sliced it thinly and placed it on the platter. Drizzle the lamb shanks with a little olive oil and serve at room temperature with crackers. So you see, it does pay to watch the Food Network; I learn so many things from it all the time!!!

No comments: