Wednesday, November 30, 2005

My So-Called Lunch

Spicy Asian Peanut Noodle Salad Thingy Dear Lunch,

I have a love-hate relationship with you. Sometimes you are so good and appetizing but most of the time you let me down. Like today, for example. What were you thinking? I picked you up at Ralph's because you looked so good there on the deli section. Your curvy noodles seemed to be floating in the clear container; the cilantro-scallion-julienned carrot combination enticed me, but it was the peanut dressing that did it for me. I just couldn't pass you up. And at $3.99 I thought you were a good deal.

All night long I looked forward to eating you the next day. I couldn't wait to get to work and devour you at exactly noon. Then the next day came but I was extremely busy at work that noon came and went. Then 1PM came, and I was still busy...then 2pm rolled around. It wasn't until 3pm in the afternoon that I was finally going to enjoy you.

My salivary glands were, well, salivating. I took you out of our mini-refrigerator and I opened the clear container you came in. I got my super-cold diet 7UP and I was ready to consume you. I opened you up and you smelled so good. My mouth couldn't wait to slurp up one of your dreamy noodles. I placed the peanut dressing all over you and covered every single strand with the creamy goodness and then, I tasted you.

Ay! Caramba...woe is me.

I thought I was eating cardboard noodles with peanut butter. I could barely taste the scallions or carrots. The only flavor I could identify was the cilantro. I tried so hard to find something good in you, but there was nothing. Nothing.

Why does this always happen to me. I'm an equal opportunity lunch eater, yet most of my lunches end up being disappointments???

I guess, for now, I'll have to stick to the usual salads they sell at our cafeteria. But mark my words, people, I will find the perfect lunch one of these days!

No comments: