Saturday, November 05, 2005

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apples

Cabbage to me is one of those elusive vegetables that I love to hate. I love it in slaw and sauerkraut, but I hate it boiled or sauteéd. When I was in college I had my first taste of a Brussel Sprout. My roommate, Sapna, loved them. Of course, just like every American kid, I shied away from this weird veggie thinking I would hate it. But I gave in and I tasted one of the sprouts Sapna offered me. Little did I know that that first taste would turn me into a fan of this vegetable.

Brussel sprouts are known to be native to cool regions in northern Europe. The origin of these tiny cabbages is thought to be the result of a mutation from the Savoy cabbage subgroup. Eventually, these pequeño cabbages went commercial in America in the 1920's and today more than 5,000 acres of Brussel sprouts are harvested in California every year.

I wanted to have some type of cabbage with our Corned Beef and Boiled Potatoes meal but I was not boiling cabbage. So I decided to try this recipe I found in Everyday Food by Martha Stewart Living. I changed three things from the original recipe. First, I turned on my oven to 400º instead of the 425º the recipe calls for; I used apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar; and I scaled it down from 4 pints of brussel sprouts to 1 pint (about 10 sprouts).

INGREDIENTS (serves 3)

  • 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 10 Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and halved
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1/2 apple, cored and cut into 1/4-inch slices, each slice halved crosswise
  • 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
  1. Preheat oven to 400°. Arrange bacon in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until browned, 8 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts in a single layer; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until they begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
  2. Remove from oven, and toss in apple. Return to oven; roast until Brussels sprouts are browned and tender and apple has softened, about 8 to 10 more minutes.
  3. Toss vegetables with vinegar, additional salt, if necessary, and serve immediately.

No comments: