Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Homemade Tomato Sauce

Our tomato plants are producing so much fruit that I've ran out of ideas what to do with them. I am getting a little tired of tomato salads! But I finally decided to make tomato sauce. These tomatoes are not "ideal" for sauce because they are sweeter than your Roma tomato, and their skins are very thin. I found that I prefer the tomato sauce these tomatoes produced because the sauce came out slightly sweet, slightly tangy and I didn't have to seed any of the tomatoes.

INGREDIENTS (makes about 6 cups)

  • 15 to 20 small to medium ripe and sweet tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup finely diced onion (I used spring onions from our garden)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (I used Italian parsley from our garden)
  • 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, finely chopped (I used Greek oregano from our garden)
  • 3 fresh sage leaves, finely minced (I also used fresh from our garden)
  • 2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup white wine
DIRECTIONS

First cut a small "x" at the bottom of each tomato. Place them in a large pot of boiling water and boil for 30 to 45 seconds to loosen skin. Immediately remove tomatoes and place them in an ice-bath. When cool enough to handle, peel off skin.

Working in batches, place the peeled tomatoes in a blender and blend for 10 seconds. Set tomato sauce aside.

In a large pot heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, parsley, oregano and sage and gently cook for another 5 minutes. Raise heat to medium-high and add the blended tomato sauce, white wine, one teaspoon salt and1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning and add the remaining teaspoon of salt, if needed.

Let sauce cool to room temperature. Place in the fridge overnight. You can jar it in plastic containers and freeze or use immediately in your favorite recipe using tomato sauce.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Hi! This is my first time in your blog and i like this recipe for homemade tomato sauce, It looks easy!