Friday, June 12, 2009

Chicken Paillard with Tomato-Arugula Salad

I realized that I need to start eating more protein because I have a little alien growing inside me that I need to feed. And if she plans on taking over the world, she's gonna need some good nutrition. My cravings and aversions tend to change from week to week, but this week I started craving all things chicken. And it just so happens that I caught an episode of Tyler Florence's Ultimate show where he made chicken paillard and it's surprisingly easy, fast and very tasty. The only thing I changed was the dressing; I made my own vinaigrette instead of making homemade Caesar dressing since I can't have raw egg yolks at this point. I guess paillard is just a fancy word for schnitzel, because the breading is similar, and I think if you serve the chicken paillard with ketchup, even kids will like it!

INGREDIENTS (2 servings)

Chicken:

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, whipped slightly with a splash of half and half or milk
  • 1 cup panko bread crumbs
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Vinaigrette:
  • 1 Tablespoon orange marmalade
  • 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Salad:
  • 1/2 cup organic grape tomatoes, halved (I used our homegrown tomatoes)
  • Fresh baby arugala (enough for two servings)
  • Shaved Parmesan, for garnish
  • Lemon wedges, for garnish
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
DIRECTIONS

For the chicken: Begin by pounding out the chicken breast gently between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Prepare a breading station with flour, whisked eggs and milk, and panko crumbs. Season all with salt and pepper. Coat the breasts in flour, egg then panko. Lay the coated breasts out on a flat tray and refrigerate to let the crust dry out (about 10 minutes) this will ensure there is less moisture and less chance your coating will break when frying. Shallow fry the paillard in hot oil for approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side depending on how thick the breasts are. Drain well, season with salt and set aside when done. For the vinaigrette: Put the marmalade, cider vinegar, mustard and salt and pepper into a small bowl. While whisking, pour the olive oil in slowly for the dressing to emulsify.

Prepare the salad by splitting the grape tomatoes in half through the middle lengthwise, mixing in arugula in a mixing bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette and toss the salad well. Add more vinaigrette, if needed. Refrigerate the remaining for another day.

To serve lay the warm, crispy chicken paillard on the base of the plate and top with the salad. Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese, a wedge of lemon and a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments: