Saturday, June 20, 2009

Homemade Frozen Yogurt

I had my first Pinkberry experience last week and I have to say I really liked their frozen yogurt. I especially liked all the exotic flavors the have to offer, but I thought it was a bit overpriced. Then this week I discovered a restaurant in the food court called the Salad Farm and they sell Greek style frozen yogurt. I tried their version and I have to say it rivals Pinkberry's. I actually liked the Salad Farm's version best because it was much tangier and I am I believer in all things Greek!

I remembered that I had an ice-cream maker in the mini-basement and I decided to make my own version of frozen yogurt. Unfortunately, I could not find the Greek yogurt I usually buy as they were out and I'm not a big fan of the Bulgarian yogurt. So I got your regular store bought plain yogurt and strained it (remember 2 cups of plain yogurt will yield 1 cup of strained yogurt). This version came out pretty good, but I can't wait to try it with real Greek-style yogurt.

INGREDIENTS (makes 1 quart)

  • 3 cups strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
  • 2/3 sugar (if you want yours sweeter, use up to 3/4 cup sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Note: to make 1 cup of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.

Recipe from David Levobitz via 101cookbooks.com

No comments: