Sunday, June 07, 2009

Fresh Garbanzo Bean Hummus

I twittered the other day that I was in a cooking funk and my friend, who is a chef in training, suggested I go to the market and pick an unusual ingredient and invent something with it. Well, yesterday I was at my favorite market, North Park Produce, and while I was browsing around I found a bag of weird looking peas...or were they grapes? I had no idea. I asked the produce guy he said they were fresh garbanzo beans. I had never seen fresh ones, so I bought the bag, which was $2.19. I got home and the first thing that came to my mind was to make hummus, but I didn't have tahini, so I made up this recipe and, my goodness, it was delish and it tastes like a very light hummus, with hints of white beans and edamame. Just note that it takes FOREVER to shell the garbanzo pods. It took me 12 minutes just to get 1 cup, so this would be a good task for your hubby or wife or your kids to help you with. Thanks, Kerry, for your inspiration!

INGREDIENTS (makes 1 cup)

  • 1 cup of fresh green garbanzo beans, shelled
  • 1 tsp. sesame oil
  • 1 small garlic clove or half of a large one, roughly chopped
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp. ground coriander
  • Coarse salt and fresh black pepper
  • 1/4 cup (about a palm full) of fresh parsley
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • Good olive oil
  • Paprika, for presentation (optional)
DIRECTIONS

Place the shelled garbanzo beans in a steamer basket over simmering water and steam for 15 to 20 minutes until tender but not mushy. Drain and cool in an ice-bath or put in fridge to cool off.

In a small pan or sauce pan (the smaller the better) add the sesame oil and the crushed garlic and gently cook over low heat just until garlic begins to lightly brown. Add the cumin and coriander and toast for 30 seconds more and remove from heat. In a food processor add the cooled-off garbanzo beans, the sesame-garlic oil, parsley, juice of the half lemon, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Process until smooth. Taste and add more salt, if needed, or more olive oil depending on how creamy you like your hummus (I added one more tablespoon to mine) and blend again. Place the hummus in your serving bowl; sprinkle some paprika over it and serve with warm pita bread.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Aw. Glad I could help! That looks really yummy and pretty! You're so lucky to live in CA -- so much fresh, wonderful food!

Curt Gibbs said...

Making your recipe now but even more work starting with beans still on the bush.