Thursday, August 16, 2007

Garlic Pommes Frites

I always know when I'm PMSing because I get an insatiable craving for garlic fries and I cry at tiny, cute things, like puppies or kittens--but not babies...they're not that cute! So, yesterday I introduced Matt to garlic fries. I mean fries so garlicky that we didn't kiss for hours. I love these fries and I found that the Lei Back Cafe in South Park has one of the best garlic pommes frites. The second best garlic fries are at The Guild Restaurant in the barrio, so go check them out or make them at home and it's getting more difficult in finding a restaurant here in San Diego that has good garlic fries since the Lei Back Cafe and The Guild restaurant have both closed.

INGREDIENTS (serves 4 guys or 1 girl on her period)

  • 1 (28-ounce) bag frozen shoestring potatoes, such as Ore-Ida® Shoestrings (about 2 cups)
  • Oil for deep frying (Vegetable or Peanut)
  • 4 large garlic cloves, minced or passed through a garlic press
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon finely minced Italian parsley
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS

Over medium heat, lightly sauté the minced garlic in the olive oil. When it gets to a light, golden color, remove from heat and set aside.

In a frying pan or deep fryer, heat the oil to 350°. Fry small batches of the fries for about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes or according to package directions. Transfer fries to a serving dish, then drizzle the garlic mixture over warm French fries and toss. Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with parsley and grated Parmesan cheese and toss again. Delicious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fabulous recipes, great blog.
I'm addicted to french fries (with my period or no period...period.), can't wait to try this recipe. Love the photographs.
I'm a fan of your blog.
Pocos Blogs como el tuyo sino el UNICO.