Thursday, August 02, 2007

Beet Salad with Pomegranate Dressing

I've been in a cooking funk lately, most likely because I've been putting in many hours at work and because Matthew is spoiling me everyday! Anyhoo, I wanted to try something totally new with beets. Yes, my darlings, lovely, crimson colored root beets. I really love the flavor of these herbaceous biennials especially after you roast them and all their natural sugars caramelize. But another reason I wanted to try beets, was because I also had recently bought pomegranate molasses and I had no idea what to do with it. Then, by pure luck I watched a food tv show where pomegranate molasses was used on beets, so I said, what the heck, I'll give it a try!

The first thing you do is get yourself two or three large beets, scrub them clean and peel their outer skin. Place them in a foil packet with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and roast on 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

Once they are done, let them cool completely. Slice them into 1/8" slices (be careful because their intense beet juice can stain your clothes) and place them in the fridge to cool down more.

In the meantime, gather the rest of your ingredients:

  • Pomegranate molasses
  • Microgreens, such as alfalfa or bean sprouts (or for a spicy kick, try radish sprouts)
  • Olive oil
  • Ricotta cheese
  • toasted pistachios
To assemble: Place 3 or 4 slices of beets, slightly overlapping each other, on a plate. Drizzle a little olive oil and pomegranate molasses over them. In a small bowl, mix the microgreens with a tiny bit of salt and pepper and a little olive oil. Toss lightly. Place a small mound of the microgreens over the beets. Then add a few balls of ricotta cheese (you can easily form them with your hands). Lastly, add a few pistachios, drizzle a little more pomegranate molasses over salad and serve.

2 comments:

KJP said...

100 hours of blog browsing and I finally find a site worth bookmarking!

I noticed no ONE has left you any comments and I found your recipes very interesting! I will definately be trying them them out, at least what I can anyways.

Great site! Keep the ideas coming!

kat said...

I'm making this tonight, Beets are going in now. Although I'll be making with baby salad greens instead of micro-greens. I imagine it will still be good.

thanks for your recipe!