Friday, January 26, 2007

Easy Beer Bread

Beer Bread
I was really craving a crusty loaf of bread today so I went to the grocery store to buy one. Most of the bread left was already slightly hard (I went after work) and I didn't feel like paying $1.99 for bread that I would probably throw out the next day. So, I found a recipe for the easiest bread ever! You don't need to kneed it; you don't need to let it rest. And if you're anything like me, I bet you probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients in your kitchen right now.

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 Tablespoon dill seeds (optional)
  • 1 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 12 ounces pale ale beer, or your favorite beer (I used Blue Moon)
DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 375. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan.

Combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, dill seed, and cheddar in a large mixing bowl. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. Batter will be thick. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan and bake until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, between 45 and 55 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Note: A pale ale works great with this recipe, but you can use a darker beer will give you a deeper flavor.

No comments: