Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Watermelon, Cucumber, Tomato and Feta Salad

Source: http://dragonskitchen.blogspot.com

You're probably wondering why I haven't posted any new recipes, well, blame it on my pregnancy. I'm now almost 36 weeks pregnant and the size of Shamu the whale. My back aches, I'm constantly hot and sweaty, and I haven't seen my toes since July. My cravings are also always changing; one day I'm craving mango sorbet and slices of American cheese, and the next day all I want are black beans and rice. One craving that has not changed, though, is my desire for watermelon. I can't get enough of it and I found this delish recipe from a Canuck foodie. In the original recipe "kumatoes" are used. I have to admit I have no idea what they are. But regular Roma tomatoes or even cherry tomatoes work well with this refreshing dish.

INGREDIENTS (serves 4 to 6)

  • 1 English cucumber
  • 2 Roma tomatoes (or about 8 Cherry tomatoes)
  • 1 seedless watermelon wedge, 5 inches wide
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons mint leaves, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons basil leaves, shredded
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta
DIRECTIONS

There is no need to seed or peel the cumbers. Slice cucumber lengthwise then again lengthwise. Finally cut crosswise into chunks, about 1 inch in size. Cut the tomatoes into quarters then cut them in half (if using Cherry tomatoes, only cut them in half). Cut watermelon into the same size chunks as the cucumbers. Place the cucumbers, tomatoes and watermelon into a large bowl and toss gently.

Whisk together vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Add the mint, basil and feta. Toss gently to combine. Serve at room temperature.

No comments: