Friday, March 14, 2008

Chocolate Chip Pancakes

I have been on the road lately and I'm sorry I haven't posted any new recipes recently, but I'm back. I tried these chocolate chip pancakes from one of Paula Deen's recipes. I've haven't particularly liked any of her recipes only because they are full of fat and are not entirely healthy. But I had a craving for chocolate and y'all know I'm in search of the perfect pancake. Well, this was an OK pancake. It did cause my husband to go to sleep because of all the sugar--so I wouldn't recommend this if you're diabetic. Next time, I would definitely cut the mini chocolate chips in half and maybe I'll add a little ricotta just to make the pancake silkier.

INGREDIENTS (10 servings)

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 large eggs, separated
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted plus 4 tablespoons, divided
  • 1/2 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate morsels
Cinnamon Cream
  • Maple syrup, for serving
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
DIRECTIONS

Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

In a small bowl, combine milk, egg yolks, and 3 tablespoons melted butter; add to flour mixture, whisking until smooth.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until stiff. Gently fold into batter. Gently fold in chocolate morsels.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter on hot griddle. Ladle about 1/4-cup batter for each pancake onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Turn and cook the other side. Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining batter.

For the Cinnamon Cream: In a medium bowl, beat cream at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until thickened. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and cinnamon, beating until stuff peaks form. Cover and chill.

Serve pancakes with Cinnamon Cream and maple syrup.

No comments: