Saturday, March 29, 2008

Black Beans and Rice

Since my hubby is on travel doing his training, I haven't been cooking much. I had forgotten what a hassle it is to cook just for one. I figured it's just easier to order take out than to cook for myself, but it isn't too healthy eating out all the time. So I'm saying "no" to the taco joints and sushi places and I'll start cooking for myself. I started with the simplest (and the tastiest) dish, black beans and rice. You can make this meal completely vegetarian by substituting the chicken stock with vegetable broth. Mmm, and a side of tostones would make this the perfect dish!

INGREDIENTS (serves 4, but you can save left overs for the next day and make burritos)

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped green peppers (I used red)
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 Roma tomato, diced
  • 1 (15oz) can black beans(undrained)
  • 3/4 cup low sodium chicken stock or broth
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • Pinch of brown sugar
  • 1 package sazon Goya (without annato *see note)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
  • 2 cups cooked white rice, preferably Mahatma rice
DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in a medium sauce pan and sauté onion for 5 minutes. Add green pepper, chopped tomato and garlic and saute until tender, about 4-5 more minutes.

Add in the remaining ingredients, except cooked rice, and stir until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced, about 12 - 15 minutes. Add the cilantro during the last minute of cooking.

Mash a few of the beans with the back of a spoon to thicken the sauce a little more. Serve black beans over white rice, or serve it as we like it in Latin America by mixing the black beans and rice all together like a happy family.

Note: if you do not have Sazòn Goya an appropriate substitute would be ground cumin, chicken bouillon, and garlic salt to taste.

No comments: