INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1 lb.linguini (or spaghetti or buccatini)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 cups (two 14.5-oz. cans) canned diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 Tbsp. oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, minced
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp. brined capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Saute the garlic, anchovy paste, and pepper flakes in a saute pan over medium heat. Stir, cooking for 30 seconds—it will smell strong because of the anchovies.
Add tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, brown sugar, and vinegar; stir to combine. Simmer sauce until slightly reduced, 10–15 minutes. Add the olives, herbs, capers, and salt (if necessary) to the sauce, plus some pasta cooking water if it seems thick. Simmer a couple of more minutes.Transfer the sauce to a large shallow bowl and top with the drained pasta. Toss until pasta is evenly coated with sauce. Serve and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top...don't forget to serve it with garlic bread.