INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausage (or kielbasa), sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine (we used champagne)
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 saffron threads (you can find them in Trader Joe's)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
- Wedges of lime
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total. Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broth, saffron, and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir the shrimp and peas into the rice, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with the salt and pepper. Spoon onto plates and add the cilantro (if using) and wedges of lime.