Monday, May 14, 2007

Caprese Salad

Ah, summer is almost here and I'm beginning to see my favorite fresh fruits and vegetables at the store. I recently found huge organic beefsteak tomatoes and I just had to buy one. But instead of making some fancy shmancy recipe with it, I made my favorite, most simple recipe: caprese salad. If you can't find fresh buffalo mozzarella just fresh regular cow's milk mozzarella will work fine. You can serve this as an appetizer, but I usually eat the entire salad myself for lunch or dinner.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 beefsteak tomato
  • 3 oz fresh mozzarella (use fresh buffalo mozzarella, if you can find it)
  • 5 leaves fresh basil
  • Pinch of coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Fresh parsely, chopped (optional)
DIRECTIONS

Slice the tomato to about 1/4 inch thickness and arrange on plate. Slice the mozzarella about the same width and layer it between the tomatoes. Arrange the basil between the layers of cheese and tomato. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle the fresh parsely and serve.

No comments: