Sunday, October 30, 2005

Decorating Sugar Skulls

On Saturday morning, Matthew, my step-mom Elaine and myself attended a Sugar Skull Decorating class at Back from Tomboctou, a store full of unique Mexican Folk Art. At the class, our instructor showed us how to make sugar skulls from sugar, meringue powder and water. Many colored sugar icings were provided to us along with shiny foil papers to use as decorations. As you can see from the pictures below, the three of us went a little crazy with our decorating.

Our instructor giving us tips on decorating the sugar skulls.

The beginnings of my skull. The eyes and teeth have colored foil in them.

The beginnings of Matthew's skull. Note his elaborate use of colors. Most of the decorations on this one are made of sugar icing.

My step-mom Elaine concentrating on her skull.

My skull: I'm adding the finishing touches here.

And here is my finished product. Notice it has a cross made out of foil in the forehead. I also put my brother's name, Robert, in the back of the skull to honor him on the Day of the Dead.

Here is Elaine's finished skull. I really like her use of color here. I think Martha Stewart would be very impressed!

And finally, here is Matthew's skull. His was the most elaborately decorated, I think. Notice the Celtic Cross across the forehead. Matthew put an "M" and "B" in the back of the skull to honor and remember his grandmother, Marguerite Burns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your skulls! I'm attempting mine today.