Monday, October 10, 2005

Creamy Arugula Polenta

What does one cook when their favorite baseball team looses? Polenta, of course! Yes, it saddens me that my beloved Red Sox didn't make it all the way this year but I still, and always, will believe. Also, now with the fall season upon us, a nice, hearty polenta is always a good companion to almost any dish. The trick to this recipe is to use the pre-cooked polenta (cornmeal), this way your cooking time is shorter and I feel that the polenta comes out creamier. Additionally, if you can't find arugula, use clean and washed spinach. Finally use REAL parmesan cheese, please. It makes a huge difference in the taste. I didn't use the garlic in my polenta because I forgot, but it still came out delicious. INGREDIENTS

  • 8 cups water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking polenta (I used Valsugana Polenta)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced(optional)
  • 3 cups arugula, coarsely chopped
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream or half and half
  • 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Combine the water and salt in a heavy large saucepan. Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Gradually whisk in the polenta. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Stir constantly until polenta thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and arugula, and stir until the arugula is wilted.

Stir in the butter, cream, and cheese, if using. Season the polenta, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis, FoodNetwork.com

No comments: