Thursday, March 19, 2009

Kermit Shake

My sister-in-law, Lindsey, once mentioned to me that she uses avocados when making smoothies. I figured, why not? Avocados have a very creamy texture and a very delicate, buttery flavor. I came up with this shake after my husband started experiencing joint pain; he needed to get more potassium in his diet. Unfortunately, he hates bananas, so I put this shake together for him and he loved it. Remember to drink within 20 minutes as avocados tend to darken after a while. Enjoy.

INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)

  • 1 large ripe banana, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled, seed removed and cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cup milk (I used half and half; if you want your shake less creamy, add 1/4 cup more milk)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • A good dash of nutmeg
DIRECTIONS

In a blender add the banana, avocado, and remaining ingredients. Blend on medium for 10 seconds, then on high for 10 more seconds. Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate bananas too! Did the avocado help mask the banana flavor?