When my brother-in-law was here, he bought chicken and asparagus for us to cook. I kind of had to find a recipe to use these two ingredients. I was thinking chicken rolled up with asparagus, or even a chicken-asparagus pasta, but I found the following recipe to be quite good, specially for those of us watching our weight and/or for people who want more protein in their diet. You can serve this dish with a side of brown or white rice, or even couscous. Or you can cut up the chicken into bite-sized pieces and serve it over penne pasta.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound boned and skinned chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped roma (plum) tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat the broth in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, and place in the skillet. Cook 15 minutes, until chicken is almost done.
- Place asparagus, red peppers and garlic in skillet. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until chicken juices run clear and asparagus is tender.
- Place tomatoes in skillet during last 2 minutes of cook time. Sprinkle with vinegar. Top with mozzarella cheese to serve.