INGREDIENTS (makes 16 shooters)
- 1 cup tomato juice (spicy OK)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. tabasco
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely diced
- 3/4 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 3/4 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 fresh sprigs of parsley
- 3 fresh sprigs of cilantro
- 3 to 4 lemon slices
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails left on
- Thinly sliced limes for decoration
In a bowl, combine first 6 ingredients; cover and chill for 15 minutes.
To the bowl add the finely diced tomatoes, cucumber, celery, red onioin, cilantro, and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste; cover and chill well.
In a large pot, heat water, kosher salt, lemon juice and lemon slices, bay leaves, parsley and cilantro sprigs and bring to a slight boil. Add shrimp and poach for 2 to 3 minutes just until pink. Drain and add shrimp to a ziploc bag. Add a pinch of kosher salt and a good pinch of black pepper to shrimp and distribute well; chill until ready to serve.
To serve: fill shot glasses halfway with gazpacho (about 3 tablespoons), hang a shrimp on the rim, and garnish with a lime. You can run a toothpick through the shrimp to stabablize it, if you prefer.