Sunday, July 27, 2008

Green Eggs and Toast

I've been rowing on the weekends and when I get home after my 2 hour rowing sessions, I am starving Marvin! Today I was particularly hungry for protein, and I was happy I found this recipe on Food Network. It's a really good breakfast, and it's visually impressive, too. It's got protein from egg, iron and riboflavin from the spinach, and just enough carbs from the bread.

SPINACH PESTO

  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1 clove garlic, smashed
  • 3 1/2 ounces Asiago cheese, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Freshly ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS

In a food processor, pulse to blend, spinach, walnuts, garlic and cheese. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. While machine is running, drizzle in oil until the mixture forms a loose paste. Season, to taste, with pepper.

SCRAMBLED EGGS (serves 4)

  • 8 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons shallot, finely chopped
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 thick slices of toast
DIRECTIONS

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, and shallot. In a nonstick skillet over low heat, melt remaining butter. Cook egg mixture over low heat, whisking the entire time so the eggs form little loose curds. Serve eggs over toast and dollop top with Spinach Pesto.

No comments: