Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Shrimp with Udon Noodles

It's not easy cooking for one. Every time I cook for myself, I tend to over-do it and I always have left overs. And before I know it, I have left overs after left overs in the fridge and, eventually, I have to throw it out or feed it to Max (shhhh, don't tell his mom). So, I'm sticking to easy things for now, and this udon soup is SO EASY. I had a few frozen shrimp, some left over baby bellas, and exactly one egg, and voila, my masterpiece! What's great about this recipe is that you can customize it to your liking. I'm thinking next time I'll add some bok choy and thinly sliced beef.

INGREDIENTS (serves 2)

  • One package of udon noodles, shrimp flavor (in the refrigerator section)
  • 6 medium to large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 cup sliced baby bellas or white mushrooms
  • 2 Tablespoons white wine or fresh lemon juice
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon chopped scallions
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil
DIRECTIONS

Place your egg in a sauce pan and fill with water to just cover the egg. Bring water to a boil. Cover the pan and turn off the heat. Let it cook with steam for 10 minutes. Drain and let egg cool. Slice and set aside.

In a skillet, add 2 teaspoons olive oil on medium high. Add the shrimp, garlic, and mushrooms. Saute for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the white wine or lemon juice. Saute another 2 minutes until shrimp is cooked, mushrooms are soft and lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.

Follow the cooking directions on udon noodle package and make the noodles, except only add 1/2 of the shrimp packet (flavoring). Then add the shrimp , garlic and mushroom mixture.

Serve udon noodles with shrimp and mushrooms and top with slices of egg and sprinkle scallions on top.

No comments: