Wednesday, May 07, 2008

California BLT

There comes a moment in a woman's (or man's) life when we desire the crispy taste of pork bacon in our mouths. The desire is so great that we'll sometimes go to great lengths just to eat Mr. piggy. Whenever I walk into a house or restaurant and smell the smoky sweet bacon in the air, my mouth begins to water. And don't get me started on apple wood smoked bacon--that sh** is the bomb! I love bacon so much, I even contemplated joining the Bacon Club of the Month. But, I decided to be somewhat healthy because I do feel guilty eating bacon as it's full of sodium and saturated fat. So, I've been limiting myself to a couple of slices of good bacon once a month. And when I do cook bacon, I always make sure I make it for a special meal or add it into something yummy. And this BLT is awesome because it has avocado in it. Bacon lovers, rejoice!

INGREDIENTS (makes on mean BLT)

  • 3 strips of bacon
  • 1 beefsteak tomato
  • lettuce leaves
  • 2 slices of bread, such as 7 grain, sourdough or your favorite bread
  • Half an avocado, sliced
  • Mayonnaise
  • salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
  1. Begin by broiling three slices of bacon under the broiler. Drain on paper towels.
  2. Slice one beefsteak tomato; wash and spin two lettuce leaves.
  3. Lightly toast your bread slices, if desired.
  4. Assemble the sandwich: spread mayo on both slices; arrange bacon (cut in half if you need to), followed by avocado slices, and tomatoes. Season with a little salt and pepper before you top with lettuce.
  5. Serve with salt and vinegar chips and enjoy!

No comments: