Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Garlic Shrimp, North Shore Style

Garlic Shrimp
I was in Oahu again this past week (no, not for Pro Bowl) and I just had to go back to Romy's for their famous prawns. But little did I know that it wasn't prawn season! What was I to do? Instead, my sister took me to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Kahuku in the North Shore. They are famous for their garlic shrimp and of course, I had to try it. It was definitely different than Romy's, but it was still delicious. So, in my quest to try this dish, I looked for the recipe, but of course it's a secret recipe. The recipe below is the closest I could find. Be warned, though, because this dish really has a ton of garlic! Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/3 cup Olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 1/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. large raw shrimp, deveined but with shell on (about 14 - 16 count)
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • Half a stick of butter
  • 10 garlic cloves, chopped
  • Steamed, white rice
DIRECTIONS

In a large, non-reactive bowl add the first 6 ingredients and mix well. Add the shrimp and let it marinate 4 - 8 hours, or overnight.

Remove shrimp from marinade and discard marinade. In a large saute pan or skillet, add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and heat on high. When pan is slightly smoking, saute the shrimp for 2 minutes ONLY. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.

Reduce heat to low, and in the same saute pan, add the butter. Then add the 10 cloves of chopped garlic and cook slowly, until it begins to lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and continue cooking until shrimp cooks through, about 5 more minutes.

Serve shrimp with a side of steamed, white rice. Drizzle some of the garlic (and browned butter) over shrimp and rice. Serve with a wedge of lemon.The shrimp truck

No comments: