Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Ahi Poke, San Diego Style

Well my friends, I'm off to Oahu, Hawaii. I figured I would leave you with what probably is my favorite dish/fish/food of all time: Ahi tuna. I love ahi so much that I order it just about every time Matt and I go out to eat. If you make this (or a version of ahi poke) make sure you buy sashimi grade tuna since this is basically a raw dish. Also, you can buy wonton wrappers and lightly fry them in vegetable oil. By the way, a true ahi poke doesn't have avocado, however since I'm Mexican, I gotta put avocado and lime in everything. Enjoy and aloha!

INGREDIENTS (4 servings)

  • 1 to 1 -1/4 lbs. ahi (yellowfin tuna, sashimi grade) diced to 1/4" (you want 2 cups total)
  • 1 tablespoon onion, minced
  • 1 green onion, minced (white and green parts)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons sesame chili oil (use regular sesame oil if you can't find sesame chili oil)
  • 1/8 tsp. Hawaiian salt or kosher salt
  • Pinch of chili flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 small avocado (optional)
  • A little bit of lime juice (optional)
DIRECTIONS

Combine all ingredients, except avocado and lime juice, in a stainless steel bowl and gently mix. Refrigerate well (2 to 4 hours). Make this on the day of use.

When ready to serve, squirt a little lime juice over 1 small diced avocado, if using, and add to the ahi poke and serve in martini glasses and with a side of fried wontons.

No comments: