Whenever I go to a fancy Sunday brunch, there are two things that I first look out for: the champagne and the chocolate covered strawberries. The recipe below is fool proof and delicious. Just make sure your strawberries are super dry before you dip them in the chocolate. Oh my gawd, I'm having cravings just writing this!
- 2 cups (12-oz. pkg.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening, such a vegetable Crisco (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)*
- 12 large fresh strawberries, with stems, rinsed and patted dry
- Prepare cookie sheet by placing wax paper on bottom of it.
- Place chocolate chips and shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 1-1/2 minutes or just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred; cool slightly.
- Holding strawberry by top, dip 2/3 of each berry into chocolate mixture; shake gently to remove excess. Place on prepared tray.
- Refrigerate until coating is firm, about 30 minutes. Store, covered, in refrigerator.