Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Chipotle Mashed Sweet Potatoes

I got this recipe from my friend, Kerry, who is a culinary genius. I slightly tweaked her original recipe because I didn't want the potatoes to be too sweet. All I have to say is, Wow. These mashed potatoes were delicious. My husband totally ate them up and I went for seconds. The chipotle peppers give these potatoes a kick and the nutmeg a slight fruity flavor. Yummy!

INGREDIENTS (makes about 2 cups of mashed potatoes)

  • 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick slices
  • 1 Idaho potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" thick slices
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo, chopped fine (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup whole milk, divided
  • A couple of rasps of freshly grated nutmeg, or a pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
DIRECTIONS

Place potatoes into a large pot filled with cold water and bring to a boil. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender (mashable), about 15 minutes.

In the mean time, place brown sugar, chipotle pepper, butter, nutmeg and half of the milk into a bowl. Add the cooked potatoes and mash away. If potatoes look too dry, add the remaining milk and salt and pepper to taste and mash a bit more. Serve as a side dish to a nice medium-rare steak and enjoy!

No comments: