I first had sticky rice with mango at Spices Thai restaurant in San Diego. I was very pleasantly surprised. I'm not a big rice pudding type of person, but this dessert was perfect. It's not too overly sweet and the sweet, ripe mangos make a great accompaniment to this recipe. This is definitely a summer dessert when wonderful mangoes are in season.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
- 1 cup uncooked Jasmine Rice
- 1 can Coconut Milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe mangoes
- In a medium saucepan bring 1 - 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice and briefly stir. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 20 minutes or until water is just absorbed.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar and salt. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add the hot coconut milk sauce to the cooked rice. Stir until mixed.
- Lightly press plastic wrap onto mixture in saucepan to cover. Let rest 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Peel and slice the mangoes. With large spoon or ice cream scoop, spoon the sticky rice onto plates and garnish with mango slices.