INGREDIENTS (Makes 4 servings)
- 8 thick bread slices (about 1 inch thick)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- Orange Syrup or your favorite maple syrup
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Place baking sheet in oven. Cutting through top crust of each bread slice, make 4-inch-long by 2-inch-deep pocket. Stir cream cheese and marmalade in small bowl. Spoon 1 generous tablespoonful cream cheese mixture into each bread pocket.
Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg in pie plate.
Dip 4 stuffed bread slices into egg mixture, coating completely. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add dipped bread to skillet. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer French toast to baking sheet in oven. Repeat dipping and cooking with remaining 4 bread slices, egg mixture and 1 tablespoon butter. Serve with Orange Syrup.
Recipe courtesy of Bon Appétit, March 1998