Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Linguine with Shrimp and Peas

It saddens me that when I go on a diet, my blog has to suffer. Yes, unfortunately I have not been doing any "fancy" cooking lately. I've just been sticking with salads, and the frozen lean cuisine meals. I know, I know what you're thinking; that I can probably cook healthy meals for myself, but since Matt is in Minnesota, it has been very difficult to motivate myself to cook. However, I am happy to announce that this past weekend my tia decided to cook and I was invited over for dinner. My tia Mary, as we all call her, is an interesting character in the Diva's life.

She's my mom's sister; married an Italian whom she is now divorcing; and has two beautiful children, which I call Ying and Yang: One is very dark, and the other very white. Nevertheless, the wonderful thing is that my tia learned how to cook real Italian food. The recipe below is actually one that she learned from one of her ex's family members. She used a San Marzano tomato sauce, which is unlike any tomato sauce I've ever tasted. This dish is satisfying and it's a great Italian comfort food you'll enjoy.

INGREDIENTS (serves 4)

  • 2 lb. package dried linguine pasta
  • 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups fresh San Marzano tomato sauce (or your favorite marinara sauce)
  • 12 olives, pitted and sliced
  • 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS

Cook pasta according to package directions.

In the meantime, sauté garlic in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until garlic is soft, about 1 minute. Add tomato sauce, olives, peas and shrimp; cook, stirring, 5 to 7 minutes or until shrimp are opaque and cooked through. Make sure you do not overcook the shrimp. Remove from heat.

Add the pasta to the tomato-shrimp mixture; tossing to coat evenly. Place pasta onto individual serving plates and serve immediately. Top with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: