Monday, January 30, 2006

Mexican Spaghetti

I think that almost every Latin American family has their own version of spaghetti. I'm calling this one Mexican spaghetti because my mom and grandmother used to make it a lot when we lived in Mexico back in the 80's. The best part is you can use almost any veggie you have available; I've had this spaghetti with squash, corn, even tomatillos! My mom and grandmother always used their own seasonings, but I could never figure out what they were. The taco seasoning in this recipe gives it a great taste. By the way, I did not use spaghetti pasta because I ran out, but I highly recommend you do.

INGREDIENTS (4 servings)

  • 12 ounces spaghetti pasta
  • 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
  • One package (1.25 ounces) taco seasoning mix
  • One can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in sauce
  • 1 carrot, peeled and diced
  • 1 large Serrano pepper, chopped
  • 1 7 oz. can of chopped green chiles, drained
  • 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
  1. Cook according to package. Drain; keep warm.
  2. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to a non-stick skillet and cook the onions and carrots on medium heat for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more. Add the ground beef with taco seasoning mix and cook until beef is no longer pink, about 8 more minutes.
  3. Stir in tomatoes, serrano pepper, and green chilies.
  4. Bring to a simmer. Let the sauce simmer for 15 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, if needed.
  5. Toss tomato mixture with spaghetti in large bowl until well blended. Remember to top each serving with cheese!

No comments: